Saturday, April 24, 2010

Planets: finished


I've finished the "Planets" series.  I'm pretty happy with how they've turned out- except for Saturn.  I don't care for Saturn.  That's why I chose it to go under the wine glass in my photo.  I'm hoping that you, gentle reader, won't notice its flaws.  I love Earth, though, and Jupiter, and I like the visual joke of Pluto with its tiny size and its asterisk.

I made the patterns using MacStitch 2009, and used telescope images of the planets, mostly Hubble photos, that I found on Wikipedia as a basis for the patterns.  They are stitched on 18-count Aida fabric, backed with black fabric, and edged in black double-fold bias tape.

I release all of the patterns under a Creative Commons license, which means that anyone has permission to copy, use, and change them- but please don't sell them, or anything you make from them, without my permission.  I'm including links to all of the patterns on this post.  I made them as coasters, but I would be curious to see what other users people have for them, so if you do something cool with these patterns, I'd love to see it.




Creative Commons License
Planets by Heather Murphy is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.
Based on a work at nerdyneedle.blogspot.com.

18 comments:

  1. These are really cool - Earth looks fantastic.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow - thanks for sharing your charts! When I get the time to stitch, I am totally doing a coaster set.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Aww, you're very sweet to give out the patterns. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. So very cool. I have to go back to the cross stitch now.
    Thank you
    ~Kelly

    ReplyDelete
  5. These are wonderful!

    I will probably use a black aida cloth, to eliminate some stitching, and use back stitches for the planetary rings.

    Thank you so much for sharing!

    Lannette Johnson

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you for these excellent patterns!! I know my friend will love them, I'm thinking of adding little loops so she can hang them up!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you very much for these patterns!! My husband is an amateur astronomer/telescope builder so a set of these on our coffee table will go over really well!

    ReplyDelete
  8. wow, this is awesome! You were featured on Craftzine and I had to come check it out. I can't wait to make myself some planet coasters!

    ReplyDelete
  9. These are awesome. My sister will love them...assuming I get them done by christmas :) Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I also found you via Craftzine. You are extremely generous to gift us with these planet patterns. I know a lot of hard work went into not just making them but designing them too. I am thinking about combining them and stitching a wall hanging of some sort. I would love to see them "all together" but I do love the coaster idea too. We'll see .... Thanks again!

    ReplyDelete
  11. There are really cool!!!!!!!!!!!
    Thank you for the project.

    Sara

    ReplyDelete
  12. Nice projects!
    I use Macstitch for my designing too - it's a great program!

    ReplyDelete
  13. It looks fabulous. Keep it up. and ya our mother earth is lookin very beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I just love this! I'm definitly oing to make it myself some day, either as a gift for someone or for myself when (if ever) I get tired of my megaman-coasters.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Christmas ornaments!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Going to use the planet Earth one for the center of a cross-stitched baby quilt for my first grandchild due in November. It will be surrounded by the world WELCOME in multiple languages. Thanks so much for your pattern! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  17. These planets are amazing. Thanks to Heather Murphy for creating them and for making them available to all of us. My daughter wants me to put together some kits for her to work on. Would you believe it? Her name, also, is Heather Murphy. Meant to be!!!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Hi! I love these planets so much.
    I recently popped them all into stitch fiddle so I could add a title and a short info bit about each planet... I'm going to do a set of tea towels!
    I hope you don't mind, I also adjusted Saturn and Pluto - since we now have a hi-res photo with a heart! I also made a sun. And toying with the idea of a space shuttle and possibly something else... it is a set of 12 towels, after all. :D

    I'd love to share them with you. I'm also in several facebook stitching groups and stitch-alongs are all the rage - have you considered doing one? I love these patterns so much and if they were mine I'd pull the trigger and start one but I want you to get full credit.

    ANYWAY. If you ever see this I'd love to hear from you. thanks again for these!

    ReplyDelete